Thursday 26 February 2015

Courgetti, I love you!

My latest food obsession is courgetti. A courgette chopped into thin strips to look like spaghetti, tastes delish, surprisingly filling and low carb. Whats not to like?

I first tried this a few weeks ago and since then I have made it loads. I was using my bog standard vegetable peeler which was making thicker ribbons, so more along the lines of courgatelle. I then found this handy contraption on Amazon. A Kitchen Basics Spiral Slicer. It cost around a tenner including postage so more than I would spend on your average vegetable peeler but I thought I would order one and give it a go anyway.

 Its really pretty simple to use. You just put the courgette in and twist it. It works a bit like a cheese/vegetable grater but your twisting it instead of pushing it up and down. A few twists and out comes your courgetti - easy peasy! There are two different sides each with different sizes so if you want thicker vegetable strips, then you just use the other side. I used the thin side to get what you see pictured below.

The only flaw that I found was with the cap that comes with it (pictured below) according to the instruction manual its supposed to be attached as the vegetable is getting shorter to help you use the whole vegetable without risking slicing your fingers. I tried doing this but at first it took a few attempts to get the courgette to stay on the pin and then when I put it onto the slicer to twist it, well it just didn't work at all really. It just sat on the top of the slicer, so not going any further in than my hand would be able to. So I didn't really understand the whole point of this part to be honest. Also when I had attempted to use it and took the cap back off again the pin you use to attach  the vegetable actually snapped off. So its broken now anyway. Seeing as I found this part pretty useless though and im not likely to use it anyway I have decided to not bother sending it back. Im happy just to use it without the cap.


You obviously have to be very careful when washing it as its sharp so cleaning it out properly wasn't that easy, ended up just holding it under the running tap to rinse the stuck pieces of vegetables out.

Overall, I would say its a good invention and is likely to get plenty use in my kitchen. I would recommend it. The thin courgetti was a bit nicer than the thicker ribbons I had been making before, it was a bit crunchier and less soggy, so had a much nicer texture.



I used the courgetti I made to whip up this for my lunch and it was delicious. I just cooked the courgetti in a pan in a little coconut oil with some red onion and sliced red pepper. I like the peppers and onions crunchy and almost raw so if you prefer yours a bit softer then I would advise putting them in the pan before the courgetti as the courgetti only needs a couple of minutes to cook before it goes soggy. I then stirred through some homemade marinara sauce that I had stored in the fridge and I topped it with a grilled chicken breast and a little more sauce.

Absolutely beautiful!








No comments:

Post a Comment